Sunday, January 19, 2014

Simple Sunday lunch


I'm just back from a few days down in Cavan where yesterday was my Grandmothers funeral. We gave her a beautiful send off. I'm completely emotionally drained and needed to eat simple food that is filling and easy. These are the times when youre completely exhausted when its so easy just to reach for something that's unhealthy or for the take-away menu. I'm trying to make sure I don't do that, so I've been keeping food in the house that is easy to reach for on these times when you're completely and utterly not arsed to think about what youre going to eat. 

For lunch, I made hummus and oat cakes. This is a serious go-to lunch for me and is so utterly simple. Oat cakes are an amazing base for any lunch. Theyre a great alternative to bread, pittas and other wheat-based lunches. Theyre pretty much gluten free (if youre gluten intolerant you can get 100% gluten free oat cakes), and theyre really light and lovely, and a good source of protien. Theyre also easy to have with anything - almond butter, cheese, or whatever you'd normally have on a sandwich. 


I like to make my own hummus, but today I used shop-bought Tesco hummus which is grand if youre having it with something else but is a little bland by itself. I topped it with finely chopped onions and tomatoes, a sprinkle of fresh corriander, and corriander's best friend, lemon juice. You could also add sliced avocado.

I love lemon juice and use it as a seasoning all the time. Lemons are antibacterial, antiviral, and lemon juice is a digestive aid and liver cleanser. Theyre full of Vitamin C and potassium too. If youre into aromatherapy, lemon is uplifting and anti-depressant.  I squeeze a generous amount of lemon juice on top of each oat cake, sprinkle with black pepper and wolf them down.

I make them individually as I go, which means youre taking a break in between each oat cake and this helps you eat more slowly, aiding digestion and helping you realise when youre full.

That's it! Hope you enjoy oatcakes as much as I do! If you have any other recipes for oatcakes, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment