Saturday, March 8, 2014

Having your ass handed to you. By yourself.


Sorrynotsorry. I am handing myself my own ass quite a bit recently and its started to become a worrying schizoid pattern of self-regulation... but the good kind.

My big struggle at the moment is patience, and trusting the process of gradual weight loss and fitness. I am really trying to silence the four year old within who wants to be able to wear my nice dress AND eat icecream NOW. I know there are small improvements, but it feels INCREDIBLY SLOW. And I want it to go faster, and fast forward to when I can get dressed, look in the mirror and not cringe. Last night I was about to bail on going out because I tried on a million things and felt horrible in everything. But then I handed myself my ass and sucked it up.

Here's a really embarrassing fact about me. I like Tony Robbins. If you don't know who Tony Robbins is (and you have seen this episode of Family Guy and didnt get the reference), he's a giant, hulking American life coach who has written countless endlessly cheesily and cheerily titled books (Awaken the Giant Within! The Body You DESERVE, etc). I love the cheesiest of cheesy self help books, but Tony in particular just freaks my mind. His no nonsense, shouty, GET IT DONE,  'you are the one in control here' attitude really helped me shift focus when Ive struggled with body image, weight, anxiety and a whole bunch of other issues. I obviously respond well to shouting. Although I don't subscribe to a lot of his theories - the ones that do resonate are amazing. I'm sure you will find him obnoxious. But if you're curious, have a look here and here. I realise this revelation will make a large percentage of people judge me and I don't actually care because I love Tony Robbins and I'm not afraid to say it. Just look at those teeth. I'd vote for this man.

One thing I learned from Tony (I call him Tony. We're buddies.) is that when you are scared of accepting something (like 'I need to lose weight' or 'my clothes don't fit'), the best thing you can do is shine a big light on it and look hard. And realise and accept that you have a problem or something needs to change. That's really the simplest way to solve any big, messy hairy problem. By staring it straight in the face and saying "I SEE YOU YOU HORRIBLE ICKY PRICK! I'M GOING TO CHANGE YOU!". Last night, this took the form of "PUT YOUR FUCKING JEANS ON AND GET OUT THE FUCKING DOOR AND STOP BEING A WHINEY, SELF OBSESSED, ANXIOUS OVER NOTHING ASSHOLE. I DONT WANT TO BE THAT FUCKING ASSHOLE."

So as an update on what my current plan looks like... I'm cycling to and from work every day (30 mins each way), working out 6 days per week for about 30 mins a day (my core huuuurts), training with Chris every week and Bellydancing with Kadri every Saturday with practice during the week. I've been busting my gut (literally and metaphorically) with a high protein, low carb clean diet. This has been surprisingly the easiest bit. I have been cheating with a little dairy over the last week (a little cheese in a salad, or greek yoghurt - but its the exception and will not kill me). Aside from that I have stuck rigidly to the plan Ive been given.

I thought I'd share a recipe with you for a very simple stir fry which is so quick and easy to make. It is full of protein and iron and calcium and all the good stuff.  I'm also obsessing about broccoli at the moment. Its so super full of nutrients. And its really good to eat raw. Its FULL of calcium (21g per 100g), a source of protein, and full of vitamin C, A and other phytonutrients.

Ive been eating this incredible salad from Listons when I'm too lazy to pre-prepare my lunch and it is amazing - its a mix of broccoli and hazelnut (you cant really see it here), puy lentils, carrot and poppy seed, tomato and basil, and tuna salad.

So the broccoli stir fry uses either quorn chicken or quorn steak strips. Its absolutely gorgeous and so easy to make, it takes about 15 mins max including prep time. Switch out the quorn for chicken or beef steak if that floats your boat. 

Broccoli & Quorn stir fry
Ingredients:
1 head broccoli
250g quorn strips (fry these until almost cooked in advance)
1 handful of shredded fresh spinach leaves
1 red onion
1-2 red chilis
1-2 tbsp GOG paste (Garlic-onion-ginger paste available from any Asian food store, its DIVINE - otherwise you can chop your own garlic and ginger like a sucker, use as much as you like)
1 punnet cherry tomatoes
1 handful of flat leaf parsley or fresh coriander (optional)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp of coriander seeds
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1tbsp coconut oil (for frying)


1. Chop the onion, chillis and cherry tomatoes finely or as finely as you'd like in a stir fry. I'm a chop-it-up-small kind of person
2. Break the broccoli florets up to your desired size, I go pretty small. Don't chop off the stems too much, they're really packed with nutrients and its a waste.
3. Toss the onion, GOG, chili, broccoli, all the dried spice, soy sauce and quorn/meat (pre-cooked) into a hot pan with the coconut oil and stir fry for about 2 mins
4. Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 2 mins
5. Add the spinach and herbs at the end, toss in sesame oil and serve.

I'm not having noodles at the moment but my OH has a nest of buckwheat noodles with this. Its YUMMMM. Eat the motherfucking broccoli.




No comments:

Post a Comment