Sunday, February 23, 2014

For the love of chocolate shakes

I used to be obsessed with chocolate shakes. My friend Jessica got me hooked on them back in college, and Snackbox in Galway had the best chocolate shake going in the late 90s which became a bit if a habit every time we met, we'd have to go get a chocolate shake. Then we'd go hang in her house and pretend it was the early 90s and that Kurt had never died. Once we were incredibly stoned in Jessica's house on Sligo, and forced our friend Colin to drive about 10 miles to get us chocolate shakes to his disgust. We were incredibly unhappy and deeply unimpressed when he returned with shitty fucking strawberry shakes... so much so that we tried to make them chocolate by adding chocolate sauce. Please note that the addition of chocolate sauce does not transform a shitty strawberry shake into a mighty chocolate one.

Anyway this isn't quite a chocolate shake from Snackbox, but seriously this tastes like the second best chocolate shake I've ever had. I'm having it today as a recovery drink after a long walk and some intense Kettlebells after which I am fucked.

I'd love to hear what other people have as recovery drinks as this is all kinda new to me, even when I weight trained before I never did the protein shake thing...
Delicious shake with bonus background dog

Ingredients:1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1 Cup almond milk
2 tbsp almond butter (substitute any nut butter here)
1 banana (I used a frozen banana to make it all cold and icecreamy)
Blend that baby and drink!

2 comments:

  1. This is a fairly decent recovery shake.... but - the fats in the almond butter could slow down the digestion of the other ingredients, meaning that in the critical hour after the completion of your workout, your muscles aren't getting what they need as quickly as they could. Also there is a lot of evidence that shows if you take carbs immediately post-workout (like from the banana), it interferes with growth hormone release, which would slow down repair and therefore your progress. I think it would be better to have the protein first with water and then you could have another shake with the rest of the ingredients about half an hour later, that's my input :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Paul I did not know that. Skipped the almond butter and banana today!

      Delete