Thursday, June 26, 2014

Jillian Michaels and the teeny dress

My name is Ciara, and I'm addicted to Jillian Michael's DVD programme, 'Ripped in 30', and I am SORE. And TIRED. And EVERYTHING IS WEAK. And I HATE her. And I love her. And the best part... I fit into my 'skinny' dress. I'm by no means skinny, by anyone's standards, but we all have a dress that lurks in the back of the warddrobe, usually strategically covered by mounds of winter clothes, that we can never fit into. I call it my skinny dress. Lots of my friends would likely swim in it, but its MY skinny dress. And I love it. And its way too short. And it FITS.

My OH bought it for me as a present after spotting me lusting over it online, but bought a size that was way to small for me. It eventually fit, but many years later I had forgone the dream of the skinny dress and cast it to the dark recesses of my wardrobe with my shame. I've been trying it on in some weird motivation/self-flagellation exercise since January. Back then, it wouldn't go up over my thighs (ho-hum). In March, it wouldn't go up over my bum. In April, it wouldn't even come close to zipping. In May, it zipped up half way. And I tried it on the other day and it zipped up. I don't look GOOD in it yet, I'm still a bit like a potato in a vaccum sealed bag, but I FIT INTO IT AND THIS IS ALL THAT MATTERS. My goal is to wear it on my birthday date night, which is in July. Fingers crossed!

I said at the beginning of this blog that I wouldn't be sharing my weight or measurements etc, but I can tell you that since February, I have lost 8" from my stomach, I'm aiming for at least 10" and I'll be happy out. YAY for progress.


Jillian is really getting me there with her punishing horrible evil disgusting awful workouts. They are based on circuit training - there are three circuits, starting with 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and one minute of abs. This takes approx 35 mins with warm up and cool down. This sounds very doable. Let me assure you that it is not and I dont care who disagrees with me. I have been training hard since January and I have found these to be the most challenging workouts of my life. Jillian hits multiple muscle groups with each exercise (think single-leg squats with a bicep curl...ow) AND THEN she hits the same muscles in every exercise in the circuit. This means it feels like your arms are SCREAMING by the end of a series... and example would be from circuit 3 last night - here's JUST the strength part of the circuit: 

1. pike push ups (30 seconds)
2. single arm left side push up (30 seconds)3. weighted elevated leg tricep dip (30 seconds)4. pike push ups  (30 seconds)
5. single arm right side push up 
 (30 seconds)
6. weighted elevated leg tricep dip  (30 seconds)

My triceps were aflame. I honestly have felt like puking on several occasions during these workouts. . It was a pretty big step-up in strength for me, and Ive also recently moved up to 10kg dumbells on each side (I'm probably ready to go up to 15kg at this point). I've been sticking to this pretty religiously, because I'm scared Jillian will find out if I skip a day. I'm definitely seeing results with this, on the first week alone I lost a half inch from everywhere. I havent felt strong enough afterwards to do my yoga cool down so I need to start doing yoga in the mornings now, which I have been very lazy about. Honestly this workout has me pooped, too tired to blog, too....

So overall I totally 100% recommend Jillian's workout, I've done One Week Shred too and this is WAY harder, I think this might be her most advanced workout. She's total f*cking a badass and you mightn't be into her style, she barks orders and screams at you throughout, but you can do it with the sound down and 'Sissy that Walk' blaring, like I do sometimes. Although I secretly think Jillian is totally freaking hot and I do absolutely enjoy a woman screaming orders at me. #learnedsomethingnew


Jillian is a total bitch but she gets you through it, I find her counting down and screaming "come on, two more, you can do it" really helps when I'm about to die in a gloupy mess of flab and tiredness on the floor. And when things get really really bad, there's always a RuPaul megamix.


No comments:

Post a Comment